Complete the sentences using the prepositions (of place and movement) in the box. The same preposition can be used several times.
between, into, opposite, over, in, on, above, from, to, at, below, along, in front of, out of, outside, round, behind, off, inside, under, down, up, on top of, past, through, across, towards
1) I got ..... the crowded train and sat down ..... a young man.
2) The children got ..... the yard by climbing ..... the fence.
3) The boy has got a poster of Madonna ..... his room ..... the wall ..... his bed.
4) Mary drove ..... London ..... Liverpool ..... her friend's car yesterday. She arrived ..... Liverpool at 8 o'clock.
5) My parents live ..... 30 High Road, ..... a flat ..... the top floor. A very nice young couple live ..... the floor ..... them.
6) We'd been driving ..... London Street for a few minutes when the car ..... us stopped suddenly and we crashed into it.
7) The robbers ran ..... the bank and jumped ..... the motor bike waiting ...... Then they drove off ..... the corner.
8) When I got back ..... my hotel bedroom, I locked the door ..... me, took ..... my dressing-gown and got ..... bed.
9) Don't walk ..... that ladder. Something may fall ..... ..... you.
10) The lorry drove ..... the factory, then it went ..... the tunnel and started to climb ..... the hill.
11) Sam got ..... the taxi and sat down ..... the driver ..... the back seat.
12) London is ..... the River Thames, which flows ..... the city ..... west ..... east.
13) Mrs Smith got ..... the bus and walked ..... the street ..... the supermarket.
14) My boyfriend and I often meet ..... the Espresso Cafe ..... East Street. Do you know the Espresso? It's ..... the bank and the school, ..... the Grand Hotel.
15) She looked ..... the window and watched the people ..... the countryside walking ..... and ..... the hills.
16) He ran ..... the corner ..... the road ..... the other side and ..... the street.
Supply the missing prepositions of place and movement.
Two Legs in One Boot
It was late in the afternoon. Inspector Mathew had an hour to go before he finished work (1) ..... the police station. He sat (2) ..... his police car watching the traffic go by. Suddenly he sat up! A woman (3) ..... a blue car drove slowly (4) ..... and the inspector clearly saw a pair of man's legs sticking (5) ..... the boot. Inspector Mathew immediately gave chase. The woman drove (6) ..... Station Road, (7) ..... the bridge then she turned (8) ..... the corner (9) ..... the traffic lights. The blue lamp (10) ..... the police car was flashing, but the woman paid no attention to it. The inspector finally got (11) ..... her car and made her stop. "What's the matter?" the woman asked. "You've got a body (12) ..... the boot!" the inspector said. There was a loud laugh (13) ..... the boot. "But I'm alive!" the voice said. "I'm a car mechanic and I'm trying to find the cause of a strange noise (14) ..... the back of this car.
4.4. Translate into English. Use the prepositions up, through, past,to, at, in, into, out of, on or no preposition.
1) Ребенок упал на пол и стал плакать.
2) Я выглянула из окна. Вид был прекрасный.
3) Мы повернули за угол и увидели красивую церковь.
4) Она шла по (вдоль) главной улице очень быстро.
5) Мы вышли из библиотеки и пошли по направлению парка.
6) Мы ходили вверх и вниз по холмам каждое утро.
7) Когда темнеет, мы включаем свет.
8) После аварии несколько людей были доставлены в больницу.
9) Я был в Италии четыре раза, но ни разу не был в Риме.
10) Я устал. Давай пойдем домой.
11) Она вышла из машины и зашла в магазин.
12) У Джека есть деньги. Он только что был в банке.
13) Поздно. Я пойду спать.
14) Он сел в машину и уехал.
15) Ты сможешь прийти на вечеринку? – Нет, увидимся дома.
16) Не стой снаружи. Заходи в дом.
Unit 5 OTHER PREPOSITIONS
ON/ IN/ AT/ (OTHER USES)
Expressions with on: on television,on the radio, on the phone; (be/go) on strike, on a diet; (be) on fire; on the whole (= in general); on purpose (= intentionally).
(Be/go) on holiday, on business, on a trip, on a tour, on a cruise etc.;but:go to a place for a holiday, for my holiday(s).
Expressions with in:
inthe rain,inthe sun,inthe shade, inthe dark, inbad weather etc.;
inwords, infigures,inBLOCK LETTERS etc.;
(pay) incash, but by cheque,bycredit card;
(be/fall) inlove with somebody;
Expressions with at: at the age of…, ata speed of…, ata temperature of….
E x e r c i s e s
5.1. Complete the sentences using on or in + one of the following.
strike, a tour, television, fire, holiday, a diet, the phone, purpose, block letters, cash, my opinion, love, pencil, the shade, cold weather
1) Look! That house is on fire. Somebody called the fire brigade.
2) I like to keep warm, so I don’t go out much ….. .
3) It’s difficult to contact Alice because she’s not ….. .
4) I never use a pen. I always write ….. .
5) Workers at the factory have gone ….. for better pay and conditions.
6) Soon after they arrived, they were taken ….. of the city.
7) They fell ….. with each other almost immediately.
8) I’m going ….. next week. – Are you? Where are you going?
9) We felt bored yesterday evening. There was nothing worth watching ….. .
10) Please write your address clearly, preferably ….. .
11) My sister doesn’t like the sun. She prefers to sit ….. .
12) I’m sorry. I didn’t do it ….. .
13) My brother thinks the restaurant is OK, but ….. it isn’t very good.
14) I have put on a lot of weight recently. I should go ….. .
15) People in Belarus hardly ever use a credit card or cheques. They prefer to pay for things ….. .
5.2. Put in the correct prepositions: on, in, at or for.
1) The Earth travels round the Sun at a speed of 107,000 kilometres an hour.
2) In Belarus children start school ….. the age of seven.
3) My friends wouldn’t like to go ….. a cruise. They think they’d get bored.
4) There is an interesting programme ….. TV this evening.
5) She got married ….. 17, which is rather young to get married.
6) We won’t be here next week. We are going ..... a trip to Scotland.
7) I didn’t go ….. business last month. I stayed at home.
8) Can you turn on the light, please? We don’t want to sit ….. the dark.
9) Did you enjoy your holiday? – Not every minute, but ….. the whole, yes.
Byis used in a number of different ways:
a) to say how to do something: send smthbypost, do smth byhand, pay bycheque;
b) to say that something can happen by mistake,byaccident,bychance (in these expressions by + nounis used without "a"or "the");
c) to say how somebody travels:
by road, byrail,byair,bysea,byunderground (in these expressions by + nounis used without "a/ the/my", etc.) buton foot
in + nounis used with "a/ the/my", etc. for cars and taxis:They cameina taxi (inmy car)
on + noun is used with "a/ the/my", etc. for bicycles and public transport (buses, trains, etc.): We travelledonthe 6.45 train (on the train)
d)to say thatsomething is done by somebody/something (passive): Have you ever been bitten bya dog?
Compare by andwith: The door must have been opened witha key (= somebody used a key to open it). The door must have been openedbysomebody with a key.
NOTE:a playbyShakespeare, a paintingbyRembrandt, a novelbyTolstoy
Byalso means “next to/ besides”: Come and sit byme (= beside me).
Notethe following use of by:My salary has increasedby$100 (by ten per cent). John and Roger had a race over 100 meters. Roger won byabout five metres.
E x e r c i s e s
5.3. Put in the correct preposition by/ in/ on or with.
1) These photographs were taken with a very good camera.
2) These photographs were taken ..... a friend of mine.
3) They managed to put the fire out ..... a fire engine.
4) Their team lost the game only because of a mistake ..... one of their players.
5) There was a small table ..... the bed ..... a lamp and a clock on it.
6) What's that music? – It's ..... Beethoven.
7) Shall we get a taxi or shall we go ..... foot?
8) We don't mind going ..... car but we don't want to go ..... your car.
5.4. Complete the sentences using by + one of the following
chance, cheque, hand, mistake, satellite
1) It was only by chance that she found out what had happened.
2) The two countries were connected ..... for a television programme.
3) If you haven't got any cash, you can pay ...... .
4) She didn't put the blouse in the washing machine. She washed it ..... .
5) I didn't intend to take your briefcase. I took it ..... .
5.5. Write your own sentences using by.
1) I went to my friend's house to see my friend but he had gone out 5 minutes before I arrived. I missed him by 5 minutes.
2) There was an election. Bob got 55 votes and Robert got 53.
3) The daily newspaper used to cost 60 pence. From today it costs 80 pence.
4) My salary was $500 a month. Now, it is $600.
Не нашли то, что искали? Воспользуйтесь поиском гугл на сайте: