Open the brackets. Use either the present forms (the Present Indefinite, the Present Continuous) or the past forms (the Past Indefinite, the Past Continuous).
1) "Does he like you?" Like me? He never even (to see) me when we (to meet). He (to look) straight through me. The other day I (to pass) him by near the lake; he just (to stare) at the sky. I (to say) "Hello, David!" He even (not to bother) to look my way.
2) On the 1st of September, 1939, I (to lunch) with my father. And I (to try) to explain to him something of the work I (to do). In the middle of the meal the telephone (to ring) and my father (to answer) it. Then he (to come) back and (to say): "Philip (to say) the war has started."
3) Through the arch I (to see) Simon. He (to lie) on the ground. He (to have) a cut which (to bleed) a lot. A few people (to stand) around. His friend, at the top of his voice, (to yell): "You have hurt him!" One of the crowd (to say): "I (not to touch) him." As I (to come) up Simon (to open) his eyes and (to say), "What on earth has happened? Where I (to be)?"
4) It (to be) evening, Jessica (to go) to the window and (to look) out. A Siamese cat (to walk) slowly along the top of the garden wall. A newspaper boy (to deliver) the evening papers. A student (to polish) his old car. Two dogs who had just met (to wag) their tails. She (to turn) away from the window and (to go) back to her desk.
5) A knock at the door (to arouse) Martin. He (to think) about Joe and (to wonder) where he (to be), as he (to say): "Come in." He (not to turn) toward the door. He (to hear) it close softly. There (to be) a long silence. He (to forget) there had been a knock at the door, and (to stare) blankly before him when he (to hear) a woman's sob. The next instant he (to be) on his feet. "Ruth," he said, amazed. Her face (to be) white and strained. He (to lead) her to a chair and (to draw) up another one for himself. They (to talk) when the servant (to come) in.
6) Last week I (to go) to the theatre. I (to have) a very good seat. The play (to be) very interesting but I (not to enjoy) it. A young man and a young woman (to sit) behind me. They (to talk) loudly. I (to get) very angry. I (to look) at them angrily but they (not to pay) any attention. Soon I couldn't bear it. I (to turn) round again. "I (not to hear) a single word!" I (to say) angrily. "It's none of your business," the young man (to reply) rudely. "This is a private conversation!"
Identify and correct any possible errors in these sentences where necessary.
1) What did you do at this time last week?
2) Everyone talked but stopped the moment Mr Smith entered the room.
3) I had a bath at the time, so I wasn't hearing the doorbell.
4) Paul had a bad habit. He was always making trouble.
5) In those days, I was always using to get up early in the morning.
6) When I got to the cinema, Jack waited for me.
7) While he cleaned the car, his wife got ready for the trip.
8) He wasn't understanding what was going on. Several people shouted at him and one waved a newspaper in front of his face.
9) It snowed heavily the whole day yesterday.
10) I was realising that someone was stealing my wallet when I was feeling their hand in my jacket pocket.
11) It took a while for me to notice, but then I did. Everyone stared at me. What had I done wrong?
12) I didn't recognize him at first because I didn't wear my glasses.
13) While the guests were dancing, thieves were breaking into the house and stealing a lot of fur coats.
14) While Mr Parker fixed the oil in the car, the children played with a ball in the yard.
15) They were arguing about something when I was walking into the room.
16) This time last year I cycled in the rain along a country road in France with a friend of mine.
17) I was listening to the news on television at nine o'clock last night. But as it was too noisy in the room because the children played with their toys, I wasn't hearing a single word.
18) When she opened the window, she was happy to see it snowed lightly.
19) The car got worse all the time. One of the headlights constantly fell off, and the engine made more and more funny noises.
20) Nobody watched, so the little boy took the packet of sweets from the shelf and put it in his pocket.
Translate into English. Use either the Past Continuous or Past Indefinite.
1) Она смотрела интересную передачу, когда кто-то постучал в дверь.
2) Я знаю точно, что в 8 часов он работал не в лаборатории, а в читальном зале.
3) Я собирался поступить в этот институт, но мне не повезло.
4) Вчера Анна играла на пианино весь вечер.
5) Было поздно, темнело. Мы возвращались домой. Когда мы подошли к дому, во дворе еще играли дети.
6) – Этот студент плохо отвечает. – Ничего удивительного, он постоянно пропускал занятия в прошлом семестре.
7) Он намеревался перевести эту статью вчера, но у него совершенно не было времени.
8) – Какую передачу вы вчера смотрели по телевизору в 9 часов вечера?
9) Когда мы вышли из дома, все еще шел сильный снег.
10) Почтальон принес телеграмму, когда я выходила из дома.
11) Во время перерыва мы ждали ее, но она не пришла.
12) Пока студенты готовились отвечать, экзаменатор просматривал их письменные работы.
13) Я собирался позвонить тебе вчера, но забыл.
14) Вы ведь путешествовали в это время в прошлом году, не так ли?
15) – Где ты был в 11 часов? Я тебе звонил, но твоя сестра сказала, что тебя нет дома. – Я катался на лыжах.
16) – Почему ты улыбалась, когда твоя младшая сестра вошла в комнату? – Потому что на ней были мои туфли на высоком каблуке.
17) Вчера весь вечер они обсуждали планы на каникулы.
18) У нее был попугай, который все время говорил.
19) Когда преподаватель объяснял новое грамматическое правило, один из студентов задал вопрос.
20) Студенты нашей группы играли в теннис на спортивной площадке, пока вы тренировались в спортивном зале.
Read the stories and reproduce them.
1) Eddie was naughty, and his mother punished him. When his father came home, Eddie was sitting in a corner of the room and crying. The anxious father asked him, "What's the matter with you, my son?" Eddie wiped his tears and answered, "Nothing much, daddy, I have only had a quarrel with your wife."
2) When Karl came in to breakfast, he saw that a bright greeting card was lying on the table. The card was from his cousin. Karl's elder brother Walter was eating. His sister Mary was in the kitchen. She was always doing something in the kitchen. Karl looked up from the card he was reading. "Cousin is coming to us for the summer," he said. "Oh, my!" exclaimed Mary, "We haven't seen him for ages." She was standing in the doorway with a coffee pot in her hands and smiling. “It will be nice to see him again”, she said.
3) The plane was late and detectives were waiting at the airport all morning. They were expecting a valuable parcel of diamonds from South Africa. A few hours earlier someone had told the police that thieves would try to steal the diamonds. When the plane arrived, some of the detectives were waiting inside the main building while others were waiting on the airfield. Two men took the parcel off the plane and carried it into the Customs House. While two detectives were keeping guard at the door, two others opened the parcel. To their surprise, the precious parcel was full of stones and sand!
THE FUTURE CONTINUOUS
F o r m a t i o n
The Future Continuousis formed with the Future Indefinite of the auxiliary verb to be + the Present Participle (the Infinitive + ing).
The negative is formed by putting not after the auxiliary verb to be + the Present Participle.
The interrogative is formed by inverting subject and the auxiliary verb to be + the Present Participle.
U s a g e
The Future Continuousis used to denote:
1) actions in progress at a stated future time: At 10 o'clock tomorrow Simon will be workingin the garden.
2) actions which are the result of a routine (instead of the Present Continuous): I'll be seeing John tomorrow. (We work in the same office so we'll definitely meet.)
The following time expressions can be used with the Future Continuous:tomorrow, tonight, next week/month, this time next week, soon, the day after tomorrow, in some days, etc.
REMEMBER: Use the Present Continuousinstead of the Future Continuousafter while: We'll be playingbasketball, while they are playingfootball.
E X E R C I S E S
Не нашли то, что искали? Воспользуйтесь поиском гугл на сайте: