CLIMATE AND WEATHER IN GREAT BRITAIN
The climatein Great Britain is mild and temperate due to the influence of the Gulf Stream.
1) _______________________________________________. The British often say: "Other countries have a climate; in England we have weather." A fine morning can change into a wet afternoon and evening. And a nasty morning can change to a fine afternoon. That's why it is natural for the British to use the comparison "as changeable as the weather" of a person who often changes his mood or opinion about something.
The British also say that they have three variants of weather: when it rains in the morning, when it rains in the afternoon or when it rains all day long.
2) ________________________________________. When two Englishmen meet, their first words will be "How do you do?" or "How are you?" And after the reply "Very well, thank you; how are you?" the next remark is almost certain to be about the weather. When they go abroad the British often surprise people of other nationalities by this tendency to talk about the weather, a topic of conversation that other people do not find so interesting.
The best time of the year in Britain is spring (of course, it rains in spring too).
The two worst months in Britain are January and February. They are cold, damp and unpleasant. The best place in the world then is at home by the big fire.
3) ______________________________________________. So most people who look forward to summer holidays, plan to go abroad for the summer — to France, Spain or some other place on the Continent.
4) ____________________________________________. This is extremely bad in big cities and especially in London. The fog spreads everywhere, it is in the streets and it creeps into the houses. Cars move along slowly, but still street accidents are frequent in the fog. People cannot see each other. They creep along the houses touching them with their hands not to lose their way or not to be run over by a car.
Gulf Stream - Гольфстрим
the Continent континент (так англичане называют Европу)
climate - климат
mild - мягкий
temperate - умеренный
due to - благодаря, вследствие
influence - влияние
changeable - изменчивый, неустойчивый
nasty - мерзкий, противный
comparison - сравнение
mood - настроение
opinion - мнение
remark - замечание
to go abroad поехать за границу
nationality - национальность
tendency - тенденция
damp - влажный, сырой
fire - камин
to look forward to - с нетерпением ждать
aspect - аспект, сторона
fog - туман
smog (smoke + fog) - смог
extremely - чрезвычайно
to spread (spread) - распространять(ся), расстилать(ся)
to creep (crept) - ползти, красться
accident - несчастный случай
frequent - частый
to lose way - заблудиться
to be run over by a car - попасть под машину
Подберите к каждому абзацу первое тематическое предложение
a) The most unpleasant aspect of British weather is fog and smog.
b) The weather is the favourite conversational topic in England.
c) Summer months are rather cold and there can be a lot of rainy days.
d) The weather in Britain is very changeable.
Закончите следующие предложения в соответствии с текстом:
1 The climate in Britain is _______________________.
2 The weather in Britain __________________________.
3 The best time of the year in Britain is _________________.
4 The British prefer to stay ________________________________.
5 The British spend their short British summer ______________________________.
6 The most unpleasant aspect of British weather_____________________________.
Прочтите и переведите следующие предложения
1. I have already done my work. 2. We have already written our term papers. 3. They have come back today. 4. My father has just left for his native town. 5. I have just got this letter. 6. We have never been to London. 7. I have not seen my friend since the holidays. 8. I haven’t finished my work yet. 9. I have not watched TV since Sunday. 10. My mother has not answered the letter yet. 11. Are you hungry? - No, I am not. I have already had my dinner. 12. We have not read any books by this writer in the original. 13. I have been very busy lately. 14.Sorry, I have forgotten to bring you the book. 15. He has got a big family.16. I have got something interesting to tell you. 17. I have got no news from him yet.
Не нашли то, что искали? Воспользуйтесь поиском гугл на сайте: