Cодержание практических занятий
Практическое занятие №1. (2 ч.)
PROBLEMS OF STYLISTIC RESEARCH
1. Comment on the notions of style and sublanguages in the national language.
2. What are the interdisciplinary links of stylistics and other linguistic subjects such as phonetics, lexicology, grammar, and semasiology? Provide examples.How does stylistics differ from them in its subject-matter and fields of study?
3. Give an outline of the stylistic differentiation of the national English vocabulary: neutral, literary, colloquial layers of words; areas of their overlapping. Describe literary and common colloquial stratums of vocabulary, their stratification.
4. How does stylistic colouring and stylistic neutrality relate to inherent and adherent stylistic connotation?
5. Can you distinguish neutral, formal and informal among the following groups of words.
1. currency money dough
2. to talk to converse to chat
3. to chow down to eat to dine
4. to start to commence to kick off
5. insane nuts mentally ill
6. spouse hubby husband
7. to leave to withdraw to shoot off
8. geezer senior citizen old man
9. veracious opens sincere
10. mushy emotional sentimental
6. What kind of adherent stylistic meaning appears in the otherwise neutral word feeling?
I've got no feeling paying interest, provided that it's reasonable. (Shute)
I've got no feeling against small town life. I rather like it. (Shute)
7.To what stratum of vocabulary do the words in bold type in the following sentences belong stylistically? Provide neutral or colloquial variants for them:
I expect you've seen my hand often enough coming out with the grub. (Waugh)
She betrayed some embarrassment when she handed Paul the tickets, and a hauteurwhich subsequently made her feel very foolish. (Cather)
I must be off to my digs.(Waugh)
When the old boy popped offhe left Philbrick everything, except a few books to Grade. (Waugh)
He looked her over and decided that she was not appropriately dressed and must be a fool to sit downstairs in such togs.(Cather)
It was broken at length by the arrival of Flossie, splendidly attiredin magenta and green. (Waugh)
8. Consider the following utterances from the point of view of the
Sita decided that she would lay down in the dark even if Mrs. Waldvogel came in and bit her. (Erdrich)
Always popular with the boys, he was, even when he was so full he couldn't hardly fight. (Waugh)
...he used to earn five pound a night... (Waugh)
/ wouldn't sell it not for a hundred quid, I wouldn't. (Waugh)
There was a rapping at the bedroom door. «I'll learn that Luden Sorrels to tomcat.» (Chappel)
9. How does the choice of words in each case contribute to the
Make up lists of words that create this tenor in the texts given below.
Whilst humble pilgrims lodged in hospices, a travelling knight would normally stay with a merchant. (Rutherfurd)
Fo' what you go by dem, eh? W'y not keep to yo'self? Dey don' want you, dey don' care fo'you. H' ain'you got no sense? (Dunbar-Nelson)
They sent me down to the aerodrome next morning in a car. I made a check over the machine, cleaned filters, drained sumps, swept out the cabin, and refuelled. Finally I took off at about ten thirty for the short flight down to Batavia across the Sunda straits, and found the aerodrome and came on to the circuit behind the Constellation of K. L. M. (Shute)
We ask Thee, Lord, the old man cried, to look after this childt. Fatherless he is. But what does the earthly father matter before Tliee? The childt is Thine, he is Thy childt, Lord, what father has a man but Thee? (Lawrence)
-We are the silver band the Lord bless and keep you, said the stationmaster in one breath, the band that no one could beat whatever but two indeed in the Eisteddfod that for all North Wales was look you.
I see, said the Doctor, I see. That's splendid. Well, will you please go into your tent, the little tent over there.
To march about you would not like us? Suggested the stationmaster, we have a fine flaglook you that embroidered for us was in silks. (Waugh)
Практическое занятие №2. (2 ч.)
1. What extralinguistic factors are involved in the notion of style? How do style and personal factors correlate? What styles exist in any national language?
2. What is the literary norm of a language? What does the term 'a norm variation' imply? How is each style characterised by the function it fulfils?
3. Comment on the sociolinguistic and stylistic factors that account for the use of regional, social, and occupational varieties of the language.
4. Compare the classifications of functional styles in English.
5. Identify the functional style in each of the texts given below and point out the distinctive features that testify to its specific character.
It has long been known that when exposed to light under suitable conditions of temperature and moisture, the green parts of plants use carbon dioxide from the atmosphere and release oxygen to it. These exchanges are the opposite of those, which occur in respiration. The process is called photosynthesis. In photosynthesis, carbohydrates are synthesized from carbon dioxide and water by the chloroplasts of plant cells in the presence of light. Oxygen is the product of the reaction. For each molecule of carbon dioxide used, one molecule of oxygen is released. A summary chemical equation for photosynthesis is:
6C02 +6H20 = С6Н12Об + 602.
You was sharp, wasn't you, to catch me like that, eh? By Ga-ard you had me fixed proper, proper you had. Darn me, you fixed me up proper— proper, you did. I don't think no worse of you for it, no, darned if I do. Fine pluck in a woman's what I admire. That I do indeed. We fet from the start, we did. And, my word, you begin again quick the minute you see me, you did. Darn me, you was too sharp for me. A darnfine woman, puts up a darn good fight. Darn me if I could find a woman in all the darn States as could get me down like that. Wonderful fine woman you be, truth to say, at this minute. (Lawrence)
Что делает отдел по эксплуатации и сопровождению ИС? Отвечает за сохранность данных (расписания копирования, копирование и пр.)...
Что будет с Землей, если ось ее сместится на 6666 км? Что будет с Землей? - задался я вопросом...
Живите по правилу: МАЛО ЛИ ЧТО НА СВЕТЕ СУЩЕСТВУЕТ? Я неслучайно подчеркиваю, что место в голове ограничено, а информации вокруг много, и что ваше право...
ЧТО ПРОИСХОДИТ, КОГДА МЫ ССОРИМСЯ Не понимая различий, существующих между мужчинами и женщинами, очень легко довести дело до ссоры...
Не нашли то, что искали? Воспользуйтесь поиском гугл на сайте: