Read the stories. Practise retelling them. Analyze the key structures, do the exercises.
A Pretty Carpet
We have just moved into a new house and I have been working hard all morning. I have been trying to get my new room in order. This has not been easy because I own over a thousand books. To make matters worse, the room is rather small, so I have temporarily put my books on the floor. At the moment they cover every inch of the floor space and I actually have to walk on them to get in or out of the room. A short while ago, my sister helped me to carry one of my bookcases up the stairs. She went into my room and got a big surprise when she saw all those books on the floor. "This is the prettiest carpet I have ever seen", she said. She gazed at it for some time, then added, "You don't need bookcases at all. You can sit here in your spare time and read the carpet!"
Wehave just movedinto a new house.
I have been working hard all morning.
I have been tryingto put my new room in order.
This is the prettiest carpet I have ever seen.
1) What has happened to the man? Has he just bought a new house?
2) What has been happening all morning in the new house?
3) Has the man been trying to put over a thousand books of his on the bookshelves?
4) Where and why has he temporarily put his books?
5) Has he finally got his new room in order?
The Greenwood Boys
The Greenwood Boys are a group of popular singers. At present, they are visiting all parts of the country. They will be arriving here tomorrow. They will be coming by train and most of the young people in the town will be meeting them at the station. Tomorrow evening they will be singing at the Workers’ Club. The Greenwood Boys will be staying for five days. During this time, they will give five performances. As usual, the police will have a difficult time. They will be trying to keep order. It is always the same on these occasions.
At present they are visiting all parts of the country.
They will be singingat the Workers’ Club.
They will be stayingfor five days.
1) Whom will the young people of the town be meeting at the station?
2) Where will the Greenwood Boys be singing?
3) Will they be giving 5 or 7 performances?
4) Are they visiting only big cities of the country?
5) Why will the police be having a difficult time?
Speak about a group of popular singers visiting Minsk now.
Do You Speak English?
I had an amusing experience last year. After I had left a small village in the south of France, I drove on to the next town. On the way, a young man waved to me. I stopped and he asked me for a lift. As soon as he had got into the car, I said good morning to him in French and he replied in the same language. Apart from a few words, I do not know any French at all. Neither of us spoke during the journey. I had nearly reached the town, when the young man suddenly said, very slowly, “Do you speak English?” As I soon learnt, he was English himself.
After I had lefta small village I drove on.
As soon as he had gotinto the cat I said good morning to him.
I had hardly reachedthe town when he askedif I spoke English.
Hardly had I reached the town when he asked if I spoke English.
Join these sentences:
1) The man left a small village in the south of France. He drove on to the next town.
2) The young man got into the car. The driver said good morning to him in French.
3) They nearly reached the town. The young man said, "Do you speak English?"
4) They were silent during the journey. They understood they both spoke English.
1) Where did the man drive after he had left a small village in the south of France?
2) What did the young man who had waved to the driver ask him for?
3) What happened as soon as the young man got into the car?
4) What did the young man say hardly had they reached the town?
5) Did the two men laugh after they had learnt that they both spoke English? Why?
A New House
I had a letter from my sister yesterday. She lives in Nigeria. In her letter, she said that she would come to England next year. If she comes, she will get a surprise. We are now living in a beautiful new house in the country. Work on it had begun before my sister left. The house was completed five months ago. In my letter, I told her that she could stay with us. The house has many large rooms and there is a lovely garden. It is a very modern house, so it looks strange to some people. It must be the only modern house in this district.
If she comes, she will geta surprise.
When shecomes, she will geta surprise.
Before she comesshe will send us a telegram.
Work on the house had begun before she left.
I said to my friends Ihad receiveda letter from my sister.
1) What did the girl from Nigeria say in her letter?
2) What will happen when she comes?
3) When did work on the house begin?
4) When was the house completed?
5) Is there a lovely garden or a nice lawn near the house?
Not For Jazz
We have an old musical instrument. It is called a clavichord. It was made in Germany in 1681. Our clavichord is kept in the living room. It has belonged to our family for a long time. The instrument was bought by my grandfather many years ago. Recently it was damaged by a visitor. She tried to play jazz on it! She struck the keys too hard and two of the strings were broken. My father was shocked. Now we are not allowed to touch it. It is being repaired by a friend of my father.
It is calleda clavichord.
It was made in 1691.
It has belonged to our family for a long time.
He was shocked.
Recently it has been damagedby a visitor.
It is being repairednow.
1) What is their old musical instrument called?
2) Where and when was it made?
3) Where is it kept?
4) When was it bought?
5) What has happened to it recently?
6) Why was their father shocked?
7) How many strings were broken?
8) Are the strings being replaced now?
9) What aren’t they allowed to do?
10) What is being done to the clavichord?
Ted Robinson has been worried all the week. Last Tuesday he received a letter from the local police. In the letter he was asked to call at the station. Ted wondered why he was wanted by the police, but he went to the station yesterday and now he is not worried any more. At the station, he was told by a smiling policeman that his bicycle had been found. Five days ago, the policeman told him, the bicycle was picked up in a small village four hundred miles away. It is now being sent to him by train. Ted was most surprised when he heard the news. He was amused too because he had never expected the bicycle to be found. It was stolen twenty years ago when Ted was a boy of fifteen.
He was asked to call at the station.
He was told by a policeman that his bicycle had been found.
Change the form of the phrases in italics using the Passive Voice:
1) Something has worried Ted all the week.
2) In the letter they asked him to call at the station.
3) Ted wondered why the police wanted him.
4) At the station a smiling policeman told him that they had found his bicycle.
5) They picked up the bicycle in a small village.
6) They are sending it to his home by train.
7) This amused him because he never expected them to find the bicycle.
8) Someone stole it twenty years ago.
1) Who has been worried all the week?
2) What was Ted asked to do?
3) What did Ted wonder?
4) What was Ted told at the station?
5) Where was Ted's bicycle picked up?
6) Where is the bicycle being sent?
7) What did Ted feel when he heard the news?
8) Why was Ted amused?
9) How long ago was the bicycle stolen?
10) For how long has Tom been without his bicycle?
The Olympic Games
The Olympic Games will be held in our country in four years' time. As a great many people will be visiting the country, the government will be building new hotels, an immense stadium, and a fine new swimming pool. They will also be building new roads and a special railway line. The Games will be held just outside the capital and the whole area will be called "Olympic City". Workers will have completed the new roads by the end of this year. By the end of next year, they will have finished work on the new stadium. The fine modern buildings have been designed by Kurt Gunter. Everybody will be watching anxiously as the new buildings go up. We are all very excited and are looking forward to the Olympic Games because they have never been held before in this country.
The Olympic Games will be heldin four years’ time.
A great many people will be visitingthe country.
Workers will have completed the new roads by the end of the year.
Say: what will happen in some years;
what will be happening;
what will have happened by the end of the year.
Не нашли то, что искали? Воспользуйтесь поиском гугл на сайте: