Compare the use of the Past Simple and the Present Perfect tense-forms.
1. Ann bought herself a new dress yesterday. She paid30 pounds for it.
2. Have a look. I've just boughta lovely pair of shoes.
3. Marie and Pierre Curie discoveredradium and in 1903 wonthe Nobel Prize.
4. The police haven't foundthe boy yet. He disappeared3 days ago.
5. How many times have you beenin love? When did you fallin love first?
6. Ron hasn't studied much this term.
7. When did they get married?- Last year. So they have been married forabout a year.
8. Chemistry has never beenmy favourite subject. I likedMaths when I studied atschool.
9. Sam hasn't drunk alcohol since he got into a car accident.
10. Ibought everything I needed and wentstraight home.
11. I have bought a new car. - But where's the car you bought last year?
12. That's where I used to live in my childhood.
13. Where is your key? - / don't know. I'm afraid I've lost it. - But when did you see it last?
14. Peter was meeting someone that night so I stayed at the office and worked Jor a few extra hours.
Choose between the Present Perfect and the Past Simple tense-forms.
1. Hello, Mr... er ... Mr - I'm sorry, \ forgot/have forgotten your name.
2. News just came in/has just come in of an earthquake in Southern Mangrovia. According to the first reports the quake struck/has struck just after midnight last night.
3. Alice bought/has bought a new car. - Really? Where did she get/has she got the money?
4. I have often wondered/often wondered what he does for a living.
5. He was/has been ill before Christmas, but he has been/ was fine since then.
6. Things have been/were difficult since Sharon has lost/ lost her job.
7. Paul was/has been keen on music since childhood.
8. Did you two meet/Have you two met before? David, this is Ann.
9. Did you see/Have you seen Jane by any chance? There's a letter for her.
10. This is the only occasion that I have seen/saw him wearing a tie.
Choose the appropriate adverbial of time.
1. I can't remember when/how long I have had this CD player.
2. Have you eaten asparagus before/already!
3. Did you live here in/since 1995?
4. I always got up at six lately/in those days.
5. She fell asleep an hour ago/for an hour.
6. I haven't paid for my ticket still/yet.
7. We've known each other since/for many years.
8. They haven't seen Carol since/for last year.
9. Actually I had dinner with Paul last night/lately.
10. Tire other clay/Lately Nick received a parcel from home.
11. Have you spoken to the manager still/yet?
12. I've seen Margaret quite often lately/from time to time.
13. Ruth bought a portable computer since then/last year.
14. Sorry, but I haven't finished that work already/yet.
15. The price of petrol has risen considerably last time/over the past year.
Open the brackets using the Present Perfect or the Past Simple tense-forms.
1. I (shout) at them and they (run) away.
2. What's the best film you ever (see)!
3. Simon is not at home. He (go) to a football match.
4. It was such a wonderful performance that we (applaud) for fifteen minutes.
5. Why do you look so sad? Anything (happen)!
6. Jaime lives in Venezuela; he never (see) snow.
7. I (not/wake) at 7 o'clock yesterday, because my mother (not/be) at home.
8. Anyone (see) my dictionary? I can't find it.
9. A lot of rain (fall) last week.
10. When I (get) home late yesterday evening my dad (be)
11. I (know) Helen for 10 years. We (study) at university together. She was one of the best students.
12. Alexander Fleming (invent) penicillin in 1928.
13. The house they (buy) looks much larger than ours.
14. I (order) a taxi to take me to the airport. So we'll be on time.
15. You (cut) your finger! How it (happen)!
16. Peter (not/eat) all the bread and butter, he (leave) some on the plate.
17. He (be) interested in jazz ever since he (leave) school.
18. We (have) a lovely time in Wales. - So you (enjoy) your holiday, didn't you?
19. I (use) to like swimming but I don't now.
20. I never (see) so many beautiful girls as here at the party.
21. My elder brother (have) a car for two years already. He (buy) it in France.
22. Jane (recover) yet? - No, she is still in hospital.
23. My watch (stop). I must take it to the watchmaker's.
24. Shakespeare (be) born in 1564 and (die) in 1616.
25. I'm sorry I can't accept your invitation. We already (make) our plans for the holiday.
26. I (begin) to teach Max to ride a bike last year.
27. We (run) out of sugar. Can you go and get some from the shop?
28. My brother is an actor. He already (appear) in several films.
29. What your father (give) you for your last birthday?
30. You (see) Tom? - Yes, I (to talk) with him an hour ago.
31. Are you the boy whose dog (make) a terrible noise at night? - I'm sorry, but you are mistaken, sir. I never (own) a dog.
32. What (happen) there? - The dog (bite) the boy when he entered the garden.
33. You (know) each other before? - Yes. We first (meet) 3 years ago.
34. He (take) off his pullover, (lie) down on the sofa and (start) to read a magazine.
35. 1 don't keep pets now but I (use) to keep a dog when I
(be) a boy.
36. I (iron) Jim's shirts this morning and in the afternoon I
(do) the shopping.
37. Why are you limping? -1 (twist) my ankle.
38. The plane (take) off from London at 9.00 and (land) in Geneva at 10.30.
39. Joanna (not change); she is the same as ever.
40. When I (.switch) on the dishwasher, the machine (make) a loud noise.
41. People always (want) to be able to fly like birds in the sky.
42. I once (play) a guitar which (have) only five strings.
43. I never (teach) a class where the students are so lazy.
44. I (lose) a button. I don't suppose I'll ever find it.
45. The slower you eat the more you will think you (eat).
46. You (be) already late for classes twice this week, Nick.
47. What a surprise! You're the very person I (want) to see
48. They say the police already (catch) both of the thieves.
49. When we (be) kids, we (love) the beach very much, so we (use) to spend all our holidays at the sea.
50. You (make up) your minds yet? What you (decide) to do?
51. She (slip) her arm under his and (give) him a nudge.
52. Thanks a lot. It (be) a wonderful holiday. We (have) great fun.
53. Since when you (lose) sight of him?
54. Anyone (leave) a note for me?
55. The employment office (call) me twice since I (move) to
56. When we (live) in the north the water pipes (use) to freeze every winter and we (have) to call in a plumber.
57. People (use) to come at the weekends, but during the week I (be) alone in that huge house.
58. You (work) as a mechanic before? - Yes, I (use) to change flat tires.
59. We (see) him at the summer course in London.
60. All the shirts you (send) your father (fit) him perfectly so far.
61 Although I (study) French for years I have difficulties in speaking the language.
62. John whose grades are the highest in the school (receive) a scholarship.
63. Yesterday we (have) supper with the neighbours of ours.
64. Some years ago I (come) across this photo in an old magazine.
65. We (not/give) him a thing to eat since he (arrive).
66. Jerry (fail) his exams. He'll have to take them again.
67. It's ages since I last (see) a decent comedy film on television.
68. We understood that it (be) just a slip of the tongue.
69. The police (find) the bomb yet?
70. When I (go) to book a ticket to Athens, I (find) that the flight (be) full.
71. I'm not disappointed with today's result. After all we (win) ten matches already this season.
72. I never (do) anything like it before. We'll have to start from scratch.
73. My computer (break down) again. It's time for me to buy a new word processor.
74. I can't afford a holiday abroad until I (pay back) all my debts.
75. They always (bring) flowers when they came to visit me.
76. The butcher (cut) some steak, (wrap) it up and (hand) it to me.
77. Since the baby (be) born, they (have) a lot of sleepless nights.
78. I'm sorry for her. She (has) bad luck all her life.
79. Jack (climb) quite a number of mountains but he never (be) to Everest.
80. You (see) my gloves, by any chance?
81. He (give up) smoking yet? When he (do) it?
82. What's up? You (hurt) your ankle? How you (do) it?
Не нашли то, что искали? Воспользуйтесь поиском гугл на сайте: