Exercise 6.4.6. Choose the correct item.
1. The day before yesterday we (invite) to the restaurant by Tom Jenkins.
2. Look! The bridge (repair).
3. The letter and the parcel (post) tomorrow.
4. In Greece the Olympic Games (hold) once in four years.
5. The problem (study) for three years, but they haven’t got any results.
6. This book (republish) by the end of September.
7. A police car came when the injured man (carry off) the road.
8. I (bear) in a small Russian town not far from Samara.
9. Dad phoned us and asked if our luggage (already / pack).
10. What a pity, John won’t come. He (tell) about the meeting beforehand.
Exercise 6.4.7. Fill in the blanks with the correct form of the verb in brackets.
The Tower of London
The tower of London ___ (build) by William the Conqueror in 1078 as a castle and palace. Since that time it ___ (extand) to its present size, and (use) as an armoury, a zoo, a royal mint, a prison, and a museum. At the time when it was a prison a lot of people ___ (lock) in the Tower for their religious beliefs or suspected treason. Anne Boleyn, Sir Walter Raleigh and Elizabeth the First ___ (shut up) there, too. Spies ___ (imprison) in the Tower during both World Wars. Some of the prisoners ___ (allow) to walk in the grounds, live in comfortable rooms and receive visitors. Many convicted ___ (publicly / execute) on Tower Hill. They ___ (behead) with the block and axe, which ___ (keep) in it. Saint Edward’s Crown, the Imperial State Crown, and the royal scepter ___ (guard) there. Saint Edward’s Crown ___ (use) for the coronation ceremonies. 3000 precious jewels ___ (contain) in the Imperial State Crown. In 1671 a daring attempt ___ (make) to steal the Crown Jewels by a man named Captain Blood.
6.5. Modal Verbs
Exercise 6.5.1. Fill in the blanks with "may / might"or "can / could" and make all necessary changes.
1. You ___ (warn) me about it beforehand. 2. The weather is changing.
Exercise 6.5.2. Translate into English using "be able to".
1. Ты сможешь сделать эту работу завтра? 2. Я думаю, он не сумеет решить эту задачу (to accomplish this task). 3. Завтра я буду свободен и смогу помочь тебе. 4. Мы сможем поехать в Нью-Йорк в будущем году? 5. Ты сможешь починить мой магнитофон? 6. Вчера я не смог увидеть полковника Петрова, так как он был в командировке, но сегодня я смогу это сделать. 7. Я думаю, что смогу перевести этот текст без словаря.
Exercise 6.5.3. Fill in the gaps with "mustn’t" or "needn’t".
A teacher is speaking to his students before a test:
"You are going to have a test today. Your test papers are on your desks. You ___ begin until I tell you. You ___ hurry; you have plenty of time. You ___ speak during the test. You ___ copy your friends’ work and you ___ open any of your books. You ___ write in pen; if you prefer you can write in pencil. You ___ stay when you’ve finished; you can leave if you want to, but you ___ be noisy. When you leave you ___ wait for your friends outside the classroom. Wait outside the building! Finally, I wish you all good luck. You can begin now!"
Exercise 6.5.4. Fill in the blanks with modals "tо have to" or"to be to".
1. Where ___ the lecture to take place? – I suppose in the classroom
Exercise 6.5.5. Paraphrase, using the modal verb "need".
Example: It is not necessary to go there. – You need not gothere.
1. There was no necessity for her to do it herself. 2. There is no reason for you to worry. 3. There is no need for you to be present. 4. Why did you mention all these numbers? It wasn’t necessary for you. 5. It was not necessary for you to remind me about his birthday. I remember the date very well. 6. It was not necessary for her to cook this enormous dinner: there were only two of us. 7. It is not necessary to take the six-thirty. A later train will do as well.
Exercise 6.5.6. Rewrite the sentences using the words given in brackets.
1. It isn’t necessary to buy a ticket (need). 2. I advise him to be more careful (ought). 3. He couldn’t swim when he was five (able). 4. It’s possible that he will win the race (might). 5. You are not allowed to play in their garden (mustn’t). 6. It wasn’t necessary for them to repair the car (need). 7. It’s not possible for you to eat so much (can’t). 8. Do you want me to open the window (shall)? 9. It’s just possible she’s still at work (could). 10. Do you want me to help you with that (would)? 11. I don’t think she is the woman who spoke to me (can’t). 12. We don’t have to go shopping with Mum (needn’t). 13. Is it really possible that she’s 50 years old (can)? 14. It would be a good idea to tell him the truth (better). 15. I advise you to study harder (should).
Exercise 6.5.7. Choose the correct item.
1. You will ___ speak Spanish in another few months.
a) can b) have c) be able to d) ought
2. I’d like ___ skate.
3. Nobody answers the phone. They ___ be out.
4. I’m sorry, I ___ have phoned to tell you I was coming.
5. To my mind, the government ___ take care of old people.
6. I ___ get up early on Mondays.
7. The policeman told the woman she ___ worry.
8. ___ you mind passing me the salt?
9. As ___ remember, I was always interested in scientific experiments.
10. Little children like books with large print. They ___ read them more easily.
Sequence of Tenses
Exercise 7.1. Rewrite these sentences using the Past Tense.
1. My uncle says he has just come back from the Caucasus. 2. He says he has spent two months to build the house. 3. He says it did him a lot of good.
Не нашли то, что искали? Воспользуйтесь поиском гугл на сайте: